A lot of big, long-running projects have faced delays recently, and it seems like as good a time as any to check in and share some related thoughts. I cover a lot in this one: the Orion PDU issue, Ariane 6, Japan’s H3, Dream Chaser, Vulcan, and New Glenn.
This episode of Main Engine Cut Off is brought to you by 36 executive producers—Brandon, Matthew, Simon, Lauren, Melissa, Kris, Pat, Matt, Jorge, Ryan, Donald, Lee, Chris, Warren, Bob, Russell, John, Moritz, Joel, Jan, Grant, David, Joonas, Robb, Tim Dodd (the Everyday Astronaut!), Frank, Julian and Lars from Agile Space, Tommy, and seven anonymous—and 434 other supporters.
- Component failure in NASA’s deep-space crew capsule could take months to fix - The Verge
- Update on Orion Final Assembly and Transfer – Artemis
- New Artemis 1 schedule uncertainty as NASA EGS ready to continue SLS Booster stacking - NASASpaceFlight.com
- NASA ‘Go’ for Green Run Wet Dress Rehearsal – Artemis
- Ariane 6 Slips to 2022, Needs Another €230 Million - Main Engine Cut Off
- ESA requests €230 million more for Ariane 6 as maiden flight slips to 2022 - SpaceNews
- Japan’s new H3 launcher delayed by rocket engine component issues - SpaceNews
- First Dream Chaser mission slips to 2022 - SpaceNews
- ULA: Dream Chaser schedule slip not a setback to Vulcan certification - SpaceNews
- ULA on Twitter: “Off to the pneumatic test facility! This time lapse really shows the size of the #VulcanCentaur booster stage as it was transported to pressure testing. The booster is 5.4 m (17.7 ft) in diameter compared to #AtlasV’s common core booster that is 3.8 m (12.5 ft).”
- World's largest launch pad takes shape at Cape Canaveral
- Stephen Marr on Twitter: “You literally never know what you’ll see in port! This morning, I spotted something that looks an awful lot like a launch mount, with a hole in the middle that looks big enough for a New Glenn!”
- Like the show? Support the show!
- Email your thoughts, comments, and questions to email@example.com
- Follow @WeHaveMECO
- Listen to MECO Headlines
- Join the Off-Nominal Discord
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Spotify, Google Play, Stitcher, TuneIn or elsewhere
- Subscribe to the Main Engine Cut Off Newsletter
- Buy shirts and Rocket Socks from the Main Engine Cut Off Shop
- Music by Max Justus