The Space Development Agency has selected L3Harris and SpaceX to produce satellites for a missile warning constellation. I break down the details of the SDA project, the technical aspects, and what it means to see SpaceX enter the world of satellite manufacturing and sales.
This episode of Main Engine Cut Off is brought to you by 38 executive producers—Brandon, Matthew, Simon, Lauren, Melissa, Kris, Pat, Matt, Jorge, Ryan, Nadim, Donald, Lee, Chris, Warren, Bob, Russell, John, Moritz, Joel, Jan, Grant, David, Joonas, Robb, Tim Dodd (the Everyday Astronaut!), Frank, Julian and Lars from Agile Space, Tommy, Adam, and seven anonymous—and 402 other supporters.
- L3Harris, SpaceX win Space Development Agency contracts to build missile-warning satellites - SpaceNews
- SDA Awards Contracts for the First Generation of the Tracking Layer – Space Development Agency
- SDA RFP Seeks Industry Proposals for Launch Services – Space Development Agency
- SDA Tranche 0 Launch Services - beta.SAM.gov
- Lockheed Martin, York Space to produce 20 satellites for Space Development Agency - SpaceNews
- Griffin’s departure stirs questions about the future of the Space Development Agency - SpaceNews
- xkcd: Standards
- Like the show? Support the show!
- Email your thoughts, comments, and questions to email@example.com
- Follow @WeHaveMECO
- Listen to MECO Headlines
- Join the Off-Nominal Discord
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Spotify, Google Play, Stitcher, TuneIn or elsewhere
- Subscribe to the Main Engine Cut Off Newsletter
- Buy shirts and Rocket Socks from the Main Engine Cut Off Shop
- Music by Max Justus