T+240: NSSL Phase 3, and a New Glenn Check In
The Space Force rolled out the draft RFP for Phase 3 of the National Security Space Launch program, and it looks pretty good! Elsewhere, NASA selected New Glenn to launch ESCAPADE in 2024, so I check in on the state of things over at Blue Origin—as always, it’s about the engines.
This episode of Main Engine Cut Off is brought to you by 44 executive producers—Simon, Kris, Pat, Matt, Jorge, Ryan, Donald, Lee, Chris, Warren, Bob, Russell, Moritz, Joel, Jan, David, Joonas, Robb, Tim Dodd (the Everyday Astronaut!), Frank, Julian, Lars from Agile Space, Matt, The Astrogators at SEE, Chris, Fred, Dawn Aerospace, Andrew, Harrison, Benjamin, SmallSpark Space Systems, Tyler, Steve, Theo and Violet, Pat from KC and seven anonymous—and 821 other supporters.
- Space Force to change how it buys national security launches - SpaceNews
- Space Force looks to energize industry with next round of launch contracts - SpaceNews
- Space Force Reimagining Launch Service Procurement – SpacePolicyOnline.com
- National Security Space Launch (NSSL) Phase 3 DRAFT Request for Proposals (RFPs) #1 and Industry Day - SAM.gov
- T+236: SpaceX Starshield, NSSL Phase 3 - Main Engine Cut Off
- Eric Berger on Twitter: “Col. Douglas Pentecost of the US Air Force says the military recently signed a "three-flight" option with Blue Origin for certification of the New Glenn rocket. This means three flights, but less data than ULA had to provide for a two-flight certification.”
- Gallery | Blue Origin
- NASA Selects Blue Origin to Launch Mars’ Magnetosphere Study Mission | NASA
- Blue Origin wins first NASA business for New Glenn - SpaceNews
- After Vulcan comes online, ULA plans to dramatically increase launch cadence | Ars Technica
- Like the show? Support the show!
- Email your thoughts, comments, and questions to email@example.com
- Follow @WeHaveMECO
- Follow @firstname.lastname@example.org on Mastodon
- Listen to MECO Headlines
- Join the Off-Nominal Discord
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Spotify, Google Play, Stitcher, TuneIn or elsewhere
- Subscribe to the Main Engine Cut Off Newsletter
- Music by Max Justus
- Artwork photo by SpaceX